Thursday, January 22, 2009

An Infinite Loop

For those of you who don't know me. .. well. Lets just say that a word that could easily describe me would be - stubborn. I am. Plain and simple. Sometimes I do the dumbest things. . just because one time i thought it was a good idea. . .and my pride won't ever let me admit to being wrong. Ever. Well. .. i guess sometimes I'll admit it. . . but only after circumstances have allowed me to spin the situation so that i wasn't ever really wrong. .. but things just worked out. . differently than i had planned.

I'm currently experiences one of those - not wrong. . but not 100% correct times. Last night. . . all of a sudden. .. it hit me. one of those - 'hey! Stupid!!! wake up and pay some freakin attention to what you're doing' moments. It was crazy. One minute i was continuing on in my bullheaded naivete - and the next. . . I'm staring reality in the face. and it was a harsh reality too.

I'd like to think I'm a smart girl. .. that i can always be level-headed. .. calm and collected. That my awesome computer skills transfer over to my ability to cope with life situations. But I'm realizing that life isn't composed of if/then statements that I determine. I can write a program, and I know exactly how the computer will respond. if this happens, then this will follow. Else - do this. It's simple. And my little nerd brain has attempted to write a lovely little program for my life. . .and it's ended up being an infinite loop! (yeah. . most people are saying, what the hell are you talking about Kat? but i don't care - cause it's a perfect metaphor). You see, life differs from my programs in the fact that there are other players in this game. . and try as i might to completely understand their actions - i can't. I predict how they will act, and try to write that into my plan. . . but what happens when my predictions are so completely wrong? infinite loop. and my brain just starts spinning. So. .. there i was. Spinning in my seemingly endless plan. .. when SNAP! someone hit the restart button. And man. .. did i restart.

And it was fabulous. The pride fog lifted. . the endless 'wake up kat - you're being ridiculous' that my family and friends have been trying to pound into my head finally took effect. Whereas before - i had the situation under control. . and i knew things that they didn't. . .after the restart i finally realized that they had seen things that my little Bullheaded plan didn't put in as a variable. Silly me. Not declaring all my variables when i first write the program. Or declaring them wrong. . . and then they put me into that mess. If you're not a programmer. .. I'm sure i've confused you. but I just had to shout it out. That I've restarted. no. better than that. I threw away the whole freakin operating system. and I switched to something better. So screw you Windows. I'm an Apple Girl. Creative, Smart, Adaptable. oh - not to mention Unique and extremely good looking. :)

2 comments:

kOrTnI said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kOrTnI said...

very nice...
I loved every crazy metaphor!

i know nothing about computers so i'm not gonna tell you to 'find your MAC that compliments an apple' like my previous deleted comment said, cuz I'm being told that makes no sense :)

none the less. i enjoyed it.

xo